Thursday, October 3, 2013

Nerdicus NES Review #11 - 10-yard fight


Title : 10-Yard Fight

Publisher : Nintendo

Release Date : 1985

Estimated Value (as of today's date) : $2-$5

LETS "SUCK"  Link : Ep1. - "10 Yard Fight"


Originally, I didn't plan on reviewing any of the NES sport games, because frankly I'm not much of a sports gamer anyway. Besides some of NHL games I played on modern consoles, I never really picked any up or enjoyed them. I'd much rather play the actual sport, than playing it on a console. That's just me.


But I figured, there's no excuse. I need to play through this entire library. I can't be selective. But for sport games, I'm going to give 'em a quick run through, play 'em for about 15 mins and give my initial reactions. That's about it. A few screenshots, and maybe a few hits or miss with the game, and end it.

So here we go, game #1 for my sport game reviews. 10-Yard Fight. The farthest thing from football you'll ever get on the NES.

Straight up - for one of the best reviews of this game you need to check out Dylan Cornelius' review here - but after be sure to come back and read mine, alright? Promise? Okay, good.

Not sure what teams these are...giants vs redskins?

Listen, I know this is probably the great-great-great grandfather of football gaming for consoles, and I know I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to football (although I did take part in a few fantasy leagues), but this is not football.

It has football players. And a football field. But not football. 

There's no play selection and little variation. You either pass or run. Seriously, I never had to pass or run because you can just run circles around the defensive AI right after kick off! There is a two player mode in this game, but don't bother. It's broken as all hell. The defensive line always has an advantage.

The one thing I did enjoy was the pitter-patter sound effects of running football players. And the defensive dives were hilarious. For a laugh, it's worth a quick play through with a friend. 

Imagine 5,000 pts for a touchdown in the NFL. Rock on.

Why do you need a 1-up in a football game...WHY!?

Until next time, keep on gaming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment